With baby showers, wedding showers and birthday parties filling up the summer, I have a fast n fabulous DIY project for you! This will look like a million bucks and super professional but is super cheap, healthy, and easy-peasy!
- Get a nice ripe watermelon, and the filler fruit you want to go inside from your local grocery store. I used strawberries, apples and blueberries because that is what i already had on hand. You can use all melons- cantaloupe, honey dew and watermelon, or tropical with mango's and pineapple! Go Crazy!!
- You will need a good knife, wax or parchment paper, spoon, bowl, melon or ice cream scoop, decorative tray and flowers to garnish.
- Lay down the parchment/wax paper under the watermelon on a large counter top. This will get messy...lol. Take the watermelon, put it on top of the parchment/wax paper and cut 2 sections as shown, making sure that you cut just above the half way mark and leave 3 inches for the "handle" of the watermelon basket.
- Once you remove those 2 sections, use the melon ball/ ice cream scoop to scrap out all of he insides. I used a spoon to then get all the little slivers that the scoop left behind. Put all of the watermelon balls into bowl and mix with the other fruit.
- Now you can detail the "basket" by cutting a zig-zag around the edges as i did in the photo. i did this by taking a knife and cutting little "v's" in the edge.
- Replace all fruit inside the "basket" and put on a decorative tray. You can then garnish with flowers or uncut fruit to make it super cute!